The occasional indulgence…

I am quite the perfectionist, which is both a blessing and a curse. It gives me motivation to get things done properly, but at the same time I also feel guilty if I stray from my chosen path.

I have chosen to become a minimalist/zero-waster, I also have dietary restrictions, and most days I am fine with the combination of the three. Other days I feel like “what the heck, I am buying the bag of chips.” Anyone else have this dilemma?

Anywho, I realized that I need to go easier on myself, and celebrate my progress instead of focusing on what I haven’t gotten to yet. For me, grocery shopping is a big deal, I try to fill 90% of my basket with package-free items. The other 10% are my “treats/cheats”. As some of you know, I can’t eat dairy products or most grains, and that limits the amount of sweet things I can have. My 10% usually consists of a tub of coconut milk ice cream, and occasionally a bag of chips…neither of which is recyclable. 😦

But honestly, 90% unpackaged is an amazing improvement when it used to be 10% unpackaged, and 90% wrapped in plastic 🙂

I am going to give myself some advice, and I hope it will help you guys as well. “Don’t sweat the small stuff”. Let yourself have an occasional treat, you deserve it. There are going to be some days when you don’t want to cook, or do much of anything for that matter, and that is OKAY. Life is about living, you shouldn’t be miserable because your favorite chocolate bar is wrapped in a bunch of plastic….okay you will probably feel bad about the plastic, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still get it a few times a month and enjoy it.

This doesn’t just apply to food either, maybe your indulgence is a night on the town or a netflix marathon…

My birthday is coming up next week, and I am determined to cut myself some slack and just enjoy life. I have a date with some coconut ice cream, a good book, a glass of wine, and a bath. Not necessarily in that order 🙂

Occasional indulgences are good for the soul, as long as you don’t go overboard. So take a load off, kick back, and enjoy it. Celebrate your progress, and have fun.

Advertisements

One thought on “The occasional indulgence…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s