I’m trying to find the best balance between sticking to my zero-waste and minimalist values, but also cutting loose and just having some fun. Let’s face it, you only get one life….so why not enjoy it?
On top of the minimalist/zero-waster in me I also have to deal with a Paleo diet, and finding some sort of food that I can have as my “treat” for my birthday. Birthdays have been kind of weird since my switch to a Paleo diet, because I can’t have the traditional cake and ice cream/cookies/donuts/etc that would normally be the main attraction. Most of the time I end up having my food and the rest of my family eats their normal food and treats, and they still make me blow out candles on a cake that they are going to eat, not me.
This year is going to be a bit different, because I finally am finding more paleo foods in the grocery store. I found a paleo-ish frozen pizza that I can eat, as well as pasta made from almond flour (I got it for free because they had a coupon! Hooray for free pasta!) I also am having coconut milk ice cream. None of these items are completely Zero-waste, but it is my birthday, sooo I am letting myself have it anyway 🙂
For the minimalist in me, I am keeping things pretty low key this year. Dinner with family, maybe a movie…then I am kicking everyone out of the house for a few hours while I enjoy a glass of wine and a new book 🙂
I’m looking forward to it.
For those of you who can actually eat grains and such, I have a few ideas to keep your birthday waste to a minimum, and satisfy your minimalist side:
- Make your own cake/treats, less waste and they taste waaayyy better!
- Resist the urge to purchase disposable dishes and cutlery, it doesn’t take that long to wash real dishes or load up the dish washer.
- Gifts- ask for money or giftcards or just having their presence…I don’t need any more random trinkets in my home.
- Nix the party favors, or opt for edible ones instead.
- For those of you over the age of 21, grab a few friends and just have a night in, wine, girl talk, netflix binging, the works 🙂
- Or if you are more of an extrovert, take #5 and instead of staying in, go out on the town.
Experiences instead of stuff birthday ideas:
- Girl’s night in/out
- Go to a concert
- Check out a museum
- Go dancing
- Take a class (cooking, dancing, etc.)
- Go out to the park/beach/nature
- Or if you need to de-stress, sleep in and stay in your pj’s all day 🙂