Hey everyone, since starting this journey I have made quite a few baby steps in the right direction. Since it has officially been a little bit over since months since I started this blog, I thought I would give you all an update on my bathroom progress.
I live with other people, so instead of starting with changes in the kitchen, I originally started changing things in the bathroom first. The first ever change I made was switching from store bought toothpaste to making my own, and I haven’t looked back since.
Here is a comprehensive list of my minimalist/zero-waste bathroom changes:
- Toothpaste– instead of buying plastic tubes filled with chemical goo, I now use baking soda mixed with coconut oil and peppermint oil. Very easy and simple to do. Six months in and my teeth look and feel great. 🙂
- Deodorant– I switched from deodorant in a plastic tube, to crystal deodorant that comes sold loose in a cardboard box. It is not an antiperspirant (so you will still sweat occasionally) but it prevents the stink. The only time I notice any stinkiness is if I do an intense workout, then I shower right after anyways.
- Soap– no more plastic pumps or wraps for me, I swapped out the plastic wrapped version for loose bars that I buy at the health store. Easy swap, and they are cheaper too since I don’t pay for packaging.
- Shaving– I swapped out disposable razors for a safety razor, and the cans of shaving cream for shave soap from chagrin valley. I absolutely love this switch, the safety razor blade has lasted over two months now without needing to be replaced, and I get a much better shave.
- Waxing– Instead of waxing in the summer, I sugar. It is completely edible and much gentler on your skin. Check out my post here.
- Lotion– swapped for coconut oil and avocado oil when it is extra dry outside.
- Face scrubs, etc.- I can’t believe that a few years ago I flushed plastic beads down the drain with the face-wash I used to use. I’m ashamed that I ever bought the stuff. I now just use water or a gentle fragrance free bar of the loose soap for washing. I also use castor and argon oil and rose oil for any moisturizing that needs to be done.
- Nail file-swapped out the cheapo one with a metal one.
- Shampoo/Conditioner– I originally used shampoo bars, but it wasn’t working with my hair type. They cleaned very well, but I found that my already oily hair ended up feeling waxy. Now I am using the no-poo method, but I am still playing around with the measurements of baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
- Make-up -I stopped using it. See why here.
- Nail polish– nixed it too.
- Brush/comb– swapped out the rundown plastic brush with a bamboo brush.
- Tooth brushes– swapped the plastic ones for bamboo.
- Hair– I always keep my hair long, it just is easier for me… that and I hate short hair. The problem was that when I emptied my hairbrush I used to just throw the pieces away into the trash. Now I stick them in the compost. I do the same thing when I trim the ends too, hair is biodegradable after all. Same thing goes for nail trimmings.
- Tools– all of my tools are now metal or bamboo. Ex: nail clippers, tweezers, brushes, etc.
- Tissues–Hankies are the cure!
- PMS– swapped out disposable pads for reusable cotton ones, and tampons are gone and I now use the DivaCup.
- Cleaning Supplies– I ditched the harsh chemicals and now clean with lemon, vinegar, and baking soda.
Quite the list! The only things I haven’t found switches for yet are toilet paper, ear wax remover drops, and floss. I also need to buy a bamboo toilet brush.
Are there any other changes you have made to your bathroom?