I’m just going to cut to the chase…I’m thinking about going vegan.
Even six months ago, had someone even told me that I would consider it I probably would have laughed until my stomach hurt. The fact of the matter is that I do ENJOY meat.
Chicken, burgers, steak, sausage…I used to devour it all. But here I am contemplating the benefits of veganism. I started cutting down my meat consumption a few months ago simply because it is expensive to buy grass fed meats in minimal packaging. Then for some reason about two months ago the smell of red meat started turning my stomach…it literally makes me nauseous. Sooo, I cut back and ate more fish instead, but fish gets incredibly boring, and again is more expensive than organic fruits and vegetables.
I WANT to try going vegan (I already do not eat dairy products because of lactose intolerance, and I’m not such a fan of eggs anyway), but I’m slightly worried that I won’t be able to consume enough calories during the day.
Let me explain, I am 5’10” and on the skinny side of the scale. I don’t consume grains either because of intolerance (my stomach cramps for days if I eat them)…so if I go vegan my diet will only consist of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, healthy oils and vinegars.
That’s incredibly limiting. And I really don’t want to lose any weight.
But I think I’m going to try it, at least for a few weeks to see how my body responds to it.
My reasons for trying/perhaps adopting veganism are:
- Budget, let’s face it…meat and fish are expensive, especially when you will only buy grass fed/wild caught through sustainable means.
- I’m already halfway there anyway, so why not go all the way?
- The way animals are treated before they get slaughtered is not something that you can be entirely sure of, unless you raise them yourself.
- Meat production produces a ton of carbon/methane emissions, and in general isn’t the healthiest thing for the planet.
- And lastly I’m curious if I can actually adopt the lifestyle and be content with my meals.
My rules for the next few weeks are…No meat or fish. No eggs. No dairy. The only animal product I am allowing myself is honey, because I already don’t consume very much sugar and honey is amazing. 🙂
Have you tried a vegan diet? Do you still enjoy it and live by it? What were your reasons for trying it? Let me know in the comments.